I listened to a webinar yesterday on Seven Secrets of Successful Self-Published Authors, which was sponsored by Writers Digest. According to Keith Ogorek, Senior V-P of Marketing at Writers Digest, the secrets of successful self-published authors are
(1) They can describe their audience in detail
(2) They believe in their work and want to see it published
(3) They set deadlines (even if artificial) – have a plan for completing work, editing, submitting, designing, revising, etc.
(4) They understand their goals and options – between traditional, Do-It-Yourself self-publishing, and supported self-publishing
(5) They know the power of social media, and how their audience interacts with social media
(6) They put together a marketing plan BEFORE they publish
(7) They plan a book launch event
Knowing your audience, and having a social media presence are the key themes I’m picking up from everything I read about self-publishing.
What do readers see as critical to success as a self-publisher?